Responses Back Story - WMSB

Anthony Craven (’01, ’08): "Seeing this picture of WMSB reminded me of the long history college radio has here on the Mississippi State University Campus.  After WMSB went off the air in the 80s, it didn’t take long before a call went out to create a new radio station on campus. This time, the station would not just be for MSU, but for Starkville and the entire Golden Triangle. Under the guidance of Steve Ellis, and with the full support of the university, WMSV-91.1 FM went on the air in March of 1994. The “new” MSU radio station was an almost 15,000-watt station that carried the signal from campus out to an audience in a 60-mile radius." 

"In the 23 years since then, the people working in the studios on Tracy Drive have delivered the best mix of music, news and info to the Starkville-MSU and Golden Triangle Community." 

"I have been blessed to be a part of WMSV for 15 years. I remember walking into the WMSV studios the week before my first semester at MSU and meeting Steve Ellis, the station’s original GM.  Steve asked what I was interested in doing and I told him sports broadcasting.  Steve said something to the effect of, “Good, we need someone to do sports on the morning news starting next week”.  That was 18 years ago.  I have so many vivid memories of how much fun it was to be a sports reporter and DJ at 91.1 when I was a student. But the things I remember most are the lessons I learned. The things I learned while working at WMSV opened up doors for me to work in sports broadcasting after graduation. And most importantly, it allowed me the opportunity to come back and work at the station and for the university I love. Now I get to make new WMSV and MSU memories every day and I get to help MSU students learn their own lessons and make their own memories.  Our university is special and so is WMSV-91.1 FM and the people who have worked here over the years."

Robert Shaw (’78): "The picture of the two students at the radio station had to have been taken before 1974. When I went to work there my freshman year, there were two turntables. During that year a wall was built to isolate the announcer from the rest of the room and provide storage of records that we played. I worked the late shift from 11 p.m. until 3 a.m. when I signed the station off until the next afternoon at 3 p.m. Later that year we started a morning show from 6– 9 a.m. The remainder of the time was used to work on the station and record announcements and public spots."

"A great time for all of us who worked there. Except for the lack of an elevator to the fourth floor of Lee Hall and no bathroom. If a whole album side was played, you could be certain the DJ on the air had gone down to the third floor to the bathroom.”

Content has been edited for length and style consistency.